I believe life is a journey

Erica - Syracuse, New York

I believe we are all on a journey through life. No two paths are the same, and through life’s greatest lessons, our spiritual evolution can occur. I use the term spirituality loosely, as I believe that it is more than belonging to a particular faith or brand of religion. To me spirituality is finding an inner peace within yourself that brings you love, joy, happiness and a sense of being complete.

Throughout life’s journey, I believe in keeping an open mind. Sometimes the most important lessons are taught by the people and in the places you least expect. Every single human being has the right to their own beliefs as long as they do not impede on the rights of others. Whether your belief is in Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Atheism, Agnostic, Evolutionary theory, or none of the above, you have the right to practice your belief without others hindering you, or judging you as being wrong.

Many people use faith and religion as a tool to guide them through their life‘s journey. This tool can be used in ways to comfort, feel a sense of belonging, or as a moral compass to aid in making decisions in what is right and wrong. However, faith and religion should not be used as weapons against others. They should not be used to harm, judge, or persecute individuals or groups with differing outlooks.

I believe that with an open mind we should not hold our own beliefs in such a high regard that we are not willing to embrace the differences of others. It is the uniqueness of people that make us each who we are. Through our variety of experiences, we can teach each about life’s numerous possibilities, as long as we are willing to open our minds, listen and learn. With the abilities to learn and educate ourselves we are able to help free our minds and accept new ideas brought forth by others. Adaptability is an important skill to master.

I myself have not always taken the standardized path in my life. I graduated from high school as barely a ‘C’ student in 1998. I then got a job in the restaurant business and promoted to management within a few years. I worked long hours for a salary that did not match my output or worth. After eight years of being out of school and not being happy or fulfilled in the job field I had chosen, I struggled with the idea of going to college. After all, I was not the best student when I was in high school, and I always considered the normal path to college to be something that was started between the ages of 18 and 22. I then started to think about the people around me, and people I had encountered throughout my life. I thought about conversations they had had with me about regret for not changing their life or following their dream. I decided then that did not need to be me too. The only barriers in your life are the one’s you set up for yourself. I am now getting ready to graduate with honors with an associate’s degree in business administration, and I intend on continuing my education into a bachelor’s degree program and possibly even a masters some day. That is in part why I believe that life is a journey. The more we can open ourselves to new ideas and step outside the proverbial box, and look to accept each other’s differences, the better fulfilled our journey will become.