Beautiful Minds

Allison - USA

Among every community big and small there are people living out their lives with disabilities. Whether their disability is a mental, physical or social one. I strongly believe that these too, are people and they deserve just as everyone else the acceptance and love from their friends, family, peers, and the world in which they live. My heart burns for the disabled and I feel that my purpose of life is to open my heart to those who have disabilities. To show that there are people that love them for who they are and most importantly express that God’s love for them is over abundant and is never ending. I believe without a doubt that our community needs to stand up and not look at individuals with disabilities as outcast but as beautiful people in there own way.

I personally have grown up with a cousin who is mentally handicapped. At times it was a struggle for me as a child to understand what was wrong with her and why I was maturing past her and why she was not. I would question my parents with how we were so different. I soon understood, and this gave me and overabundance of patience. I truly believe that my cousin’s disability is what started the flame that is now burning violently in my heart to reach out to others with similar and different disabilities.

As I was younger I volunteered at her group home that she lived at with 5 other truly beautiful ladies. While there I would read to them, play games, build puzzles, and spend quality time with them participating in their individual hobbies. I loved it!

So many times people who have disabilities are looked at in different ways. The handicapped that have wheelchairs as their transportation are talked down to or patted on the head. I have heard so many times of how the individuals with disabilities get so aggravated when they are treated differently than others, or called names, or even get laughed at. They have feeling just like us, and there hearts get broken and torn just as much, if not more than ours.

This summer I attended a Special Touch Getaway Camp in Lake Wales; FL. Special Touch Ministries is an organization that ministers to those who have disabilities. This organization has weeklong summer camps across the United States for individuals to attend to “Get Away” as we call it from their everyday normal routine. I was called the CIT of the camp. This stands for Caregiver in Training. CITs are under the age of 18 and they are training to become a caregiver. I would without a doubt say that this experience was one of the best that I have ever had in my life. I met so many beautiful people and minds. This is where my belief was truly cemented into my being and I honestly do not feel that my feelings and belief will ever change.

People are people no matter their size, color, maturity, age, whether they have disabilities or not. I believe without a doubt that our community needs to stand up and not look at individuals with disabilities as outcast but as beautiful people in there own way. I challenge everyone, that next time you are talking to someone with a disability, get down to their level, look them in the eyes when you speak, and just plain out show kindness, even if it is uncomfortable to you. Lets come together as a community and raise up to greatness.