The Power of Friendship

Danielle - lakeland, Florida

One way or another whether I like it or not I am and will always be influenced by the people around me. These “people” are my friends, and they have always affected my life in both a positive or negative way, reshaping the way I think and how I act outwardly. In high school, I have had friends that where either gossipers, backstabbers, drug abusers, gang participants, and finally true friends. It’s not too hard to see that when I look around each of these friends of mine is split up in different clique. These kinds of friends have made me who I am today.

I had my own share of experience with the friends of mine whom I later found out to be loud mouth backstabbers. Like in 9th grade I used to have a friend, whose name I quickly and thankfully forgot, who would tell every detail of our conversation to other people, needless to say I also found out that though she was very kind and friendly in my face she said very rude and nasty comments about me behind my back. Because of this experience I am very apprehensive in what I tell my friends, I have learned that I can’t be too trusting of people. Or like in 8th and till by 12th years of school I’ve dealt with friend who where drug abuser, gang members, and sexually active. I have found out that a friend of mine in NY was killed by a gang that could have been me since NY is heavily populated by all sorts of gang members that were in our school. All three of these categories of people had taught me to respect and love my body. Every time I look at my self in the mirror I literally remind myself of how beautiful and special I am. I have come to find out that even the thought of suicide or other bodily harm a voice in the back of my head always tells me that I care way too much about my self to even harm myself. And I am grateful of that because of this I choose my friends by how they respect themselves and others.

It wasn’t until my 11th and 12th grade years that I finally and gladly got myself situated with the right type of friends who love me for me, and always like what best for me. It’s funny to say they are the ones who attend church and have dealt with similar kind of pressure that I have been through. So not only do they relate to me in my belief but they also relate to the experience that I face daily.

Like I have said before, whether I like it or not my friends have made me who I am today. Thanks to them I am a very observant person who cares not only for me but others around me with greater respect and better understanding, which my friends are fond of.