Who Am I

Melanie - Central Falls, Rhode Island

“Who wants to be ordinary in a crazy mixed-up world?” (Michell Branch). I believe in being different in this world and staying true to yourself no matter what. Why be like everyone else? Being like everyone else does not make you happy and it sure does not help anyone. No one is normal there is no such thing in this world and I sure am not one of those people. I am myself. I consider myself an extraordinary person you can say weird!!

I don’t care what anyone thinks of me because this is who I am. If me believing in helping others or wanting to try new stuff like sushi or wanting to go to Africa to help or not wanting to dress like everyone else or loving the 60s , “being a hippie because I want peace in the world.”If just being myself is weird then, I guess I’m weird.

I am who I am because I have always believed in this line, I am so different from my friends and some people around me, but they don’t care because they love me for who I am and I would do the same. I am the friend in the group that loves to help out. I am the hippie. But I stay true to myself no matter what. There was this time when I was a part of this Darfur group and some of my friends thought it was funny, I don’t know why but they did. I invited them to come to this protest with me so they could see why I was doing, and they were like no. They told “Melanie you always want to save the whole world, this is just not me you can go and save Darfur we will be there in sprit with you lol”. This did not bother me because I knew they were my friends and they had my back not matter what but I also didn’t stop trying to save the world because they were my friends I was staying true to myself, I didn’t care if I was being different from them because I knew who I was .

I know I am not ordinary and I don’t want to be. I am going to stay true to myself until the end. I believe in this and I wish more people in this world would to. If we all stay true to ourselves, we wouldn’t care about how other people see the world both because we would understand and embrace other people’s views and differences. If that means being Humanitarian, a nun, a teen mom, or someone with a disability we are all humans and we weren’t put here to be ordinary.