Friends can get You through anything

emily - Garden City, Kansas

Growing up I had always been taught by my parents to be very independent. I was raised to be financially independent as my parents only provided the things I needed, but anything else I wanted I was taught to work for it. Also growing up I always solved my own problems. Since I was taught to be independent, I never went to my parents for advice or I never went to them even when I had a huge problem I had to deal with. I just dealt with it myself.

As I left high school I took this attitude away with me to college. For the most part I am very happy that I was raised to be independent and that I can rely on myself for whatever I need, but as I progressed through my first year of college I learned that everyone needs someone at some point.

So I went through my freshman year paying for my tuition through scholarships and grants and working a part time job to have money for anything else I needed. This was always a good thing. I began thinking differently about how independent I was when I realized how much I bottled up my emotions. Because I was taught to solve my own problems, I had many emotions that i kept inside because I would never tell anyone about them. Any major problem that came my way, and any huge amount of anger or sadness or stress I had stayed with me. I dealt with that all on my own.

As my first semester of freshman year came to an end I learned that I could not keep going on by myself. My stress from finals and every other emotion I had was bottled so tight in me that one more thing added to it would cause me to explode. I had no other choice but to turn to one of my closest friends. I talked to this friend and let every emotion and problem just flood out of me through my tears and my words. Although my friend did not have much advice or could not help out with the small problems I had, they had helped me because I was just able to talk and get everything gout.

At this point I realized that everyone needs someone and no one can make it through life alone. No matter how tough I might of thought I was, I need someone at some point whether it be for a lend out in the form of money, a helping hand in the form of a favor, or even just for a shoulder to cry on. So while I am thankful for the strong sense of independence I have, i believe that I need someone in my life no matter how independent I want to be. No matter what that person Is there for, I need to learn to count on someone else to be there for me besides just me.

I have come to firmly believe that friends can get me through anything. No matter how rough or hard something is a friend will always be there for me. This I believe in