The Ultimate Altruist

Ruthie - North Richland Hills, Texas

My twenty-one years of life have been guided by the dazzling woman that is my best friend as well as my giver of life. Through her love and compassion, she made me believe in one thing, motherhood. My mom is the voice that told me I could be whatever I wanted to be in life and the power that gave me the strength to endure. Who I am today cannot be accredited to the schools I have attended, the friends who I attained, or the experiences I have lived, but it is my mom who has defined my identity in this world. She is my other half. My mom is my shoulder to cry on, my friend to laugh with, and my challenger in argument, and my daily inspiration to be a better person.

I believe that my mom is the ultimate altruist. She has spent her adult life taking care of the needs of others while bypassing her own needs and desires. Since I can remember, my mom has been my backbone in life. If I were to fall, she picked me up. If I were to cry, she would wipe my tears. She has done everything in her will to make my time on this earth not just good but extraordinary.

In high school, my mom was the mom that did everything. Her utter selflessness in her time commitment to me and others is insurmountable. Along with working as a co-owner of a business, she was the mom standing backstage at dance competition with hairspray in one hand and safety pins in the other. Through my nineteen years of dancing and hundreds of performances, my mom has not missed one of them. Sure, there were probably lists of other things to accomplish, both personal and familial, but somehow she got it all done.

Altruism defines my mom not only in her time she has given but in her labor for others as well. When my grandmother passed away, she became the weekday caregiver for my grandfather in addition to my sister and me. She has spent the last four years working for my grandfather by making and attending doctor appointments, doing his payments, taking care of his medication and cooking his meals. As I look at her work done for him, I realize that I believe in something much more than a wonderful mother, I also believe in an astonishing daughter.

Altruism is a term that is of high debate in our society and cross-culturally. There are people who criticize the existence of altruism claim that the self-sacrificing nature of this word is seen as too far-reaching for anyone to achieve in the belief that nothing can be done in complete selflessness. In the upmost respect, I urge these people to take a look at my mother and determine whether their theory should undergo a reevaluation. Through her selflessness and love, my mom has become my inspiration, my hero, and most of all, someone I believe in.