N - Fort Worth, Texas

To say the least I was the quintessential 21 year old guy: no fear, no restrictions, and yes invincible. I was the guy who if dared to jump off the roof or walk across a fire pit would do so without even so much of a blink. I took for granted not just the little things in life, but life in general. I literally thought that because I live a good moral life with parents that love me and friends that would take a bullet for me I was safe from misfortunes. In my mind no bad could happen to me.

Not to me. Not to a hard working college student who makes his grades while holding a job on the side. Not to someone who always says their yes sirs and no sirs, who holds the door, and who genuinely cares for the well being of others. Not to me. On the night of February 16 those thoughts came to a crashing end when my world was turned upside down.

The night was wet from rain earlier that day. The roads were slick. My buddies and I just got done eating dinner down town with a group of girls and their mothers. I drew the short straw and was the designated driver for the night, and in turn had nothing to drink. I’m not going to lie and say that I’ve never gotten behind the wheel after a few drinks, however that was a short lived habit which ended before it really started. We finished dinner and were on the short ten minute drive back to my house when it happened. A dog ran into the middle of the road, and without thinking I swerved to miss it. My truck over corrected and we started to roll; right into a tree. It happened to me.

It was so fast; my adrenaline was pumping so hard, to this day I don’t remember the roll or how I got out of my truck. The front of my truck looked like a soda can that was smashed flat, and the bed was so mangled it looked as though it was made of tin foil. I can’t do justice in describing the effect the wreck had on my truck but the bottom line is it was totaled. The front was smashed, the bed was mangled, but the cab; the cab was entirely intact. My friends and I crawled out of the truck looked at each other looked at the truck and realized we were just a part of a miracle. Besides a few scrapes and bruises no one was hurt.

So this is what I believe: as indestructible as you think your life is the reality of it is life is like a glass ball and can be chipped, cracked or destroyed right in front of you, so handle with care.