Tomorrow can be better than today

Judith - Greensburg, Pennsylvania

Tomorrow can be better than today.

Throughout my life, I have always had a sense of optimism. When I was in high school, there was a poster in our hallway with a quote from Abraham Lincoln, “A man is just about as happy as he decides to be.” Because I was a hall monitor, I looked at the poster every day for several weeks and it made a great impression on me. Even at the darkest times in my life, I always believed that good times would come again.

Along with this, I believe that there is more goodness in the world than evil. It seems to me that in every situation, there is something in the human spirit that calls to our better natures, if only we will listen. When my first husband ended our marriage, a friend said to me, “Love is not a feeling, it is a decision.” This brought me comfort and helped me to go on to experience love again.

I’m sure that these beliefs emanate from my experience of a good and loving God who cares for us. These beliefs have carried me through the illness and the deaths of family and friends. Even when I could not really imagine ever being happy again, there was always a germ of hope that kept me going and eventually happiness returned.

No matter what my future may bring as I enter my senior years, I hope that my decision to focus on the positive rather than the negative will prevail. I have watched my mother cope with low vision and decreased mobility and yet she is always cheerful and upbeat. I know that the elderly are sometimes thought of as grumpy and complaining, but I don’t think this happens just because a person gets old. You become as an old person what you have practiced as a young person; it just becomes more intensified.

So I look forward to the future, even with declining health and other difficulties. With the example set by my mother, I know that life can be good at all its stages, if we have the right attitude. This I believe.