Jared - Cadiz, Kentucky

This I believe that music is the glue that binds the fabrics of humanity. All cultures have their own types, yet were other people might see differences I see connections. With music, no matter the mood or genre, all of it does the same thing; it takes the listener out of the present and moves them to a place where they feel something else. Music is powerful, compels people to do things, to think outside their habits, or to just listen and be joyful.

But to a musician it is much more, while you might just listen to music in the car, maybe at home or to go to sleep, I play music with friends, by myself, sing in the car, in the shower, listen to my iPod dancing, running, and walking to class and work; it is an obsession, more yet, a passion. When you are in the middle of a good jam session or playing a newly completed song for a few friends you feel something completely different that I believe is the true feeling of art. You feel the beat in your chest and with the introduction of the melody a surge of sensation starts at your feet pulsing up your entire body. “You feel it in the guts,” as Beethoven would say. And oh no, It doesn’t stop there, you feel relieved of all thoughts of doubt and hopelessness and are just filled with the joy that moves you just to smile and sway with the beat. While this is only a foolish attempt at capturing the magical feeling of art we cannot dismiss it as just a good time. In more ways than one it brings people together is celebration.

But glue you ask? It doesn’t hold us together but divides us into who likes rock, or classical or even rap. But what would you do without it; there would be nothing to cheer you up on a crappy drive home, or no liveliness at parties. Music keeps us all sane.