Religion is a hoax

Brian - Andover, Kansas

Ever since I was a small boy my parents raised me to be a believer in God and Heaven and Hell and all of those other religious things. It wasn’t until I turned 17 that I started to question just exactly what religion was and what did I find? Absolutely nothing. Religion in my opinion is a hoax, nothing more than a group of people believing in some imaginary being to make their own lives easier.

Having faith in this imaginary being gives people a reason to be good hearted, to be faithful to each other and it also gives them someone to blame when things go wrong. When in all reality the people have no one to blame but themselves. You can not possible tell me that some force makes people kill or hurt each other. Human nature however tells us to find a scapegoat. Find something that we can put all the blame in to so that we can live with ourselves still. By the time I turned 16 I had two family members die from ALS or Lou Gherig’s Disease. At that current time I did not question it and just told myself that God made it happen for a reason as I was taught and programmed to do.

Once I broke away from the church I began thinking more radically and while some may say its ignorant I think of it as fate that my junior year the reason I finally stopped attending church services regularly was because of a girl. Now this girl was my opposite in nearly every single way possible. We had different views on history, the present and the future as well as on politics and school systems and government. Like I said, basically everything. At first I was just being a stupid boy and thought that by not attending church anymore that I would have a chance with her, which ended up not being the case.

Two years later and I am still not attending church at all and all I know is that I am grateful for meeting that girl. If it was not for her I would still be living a lie every single day of my life. However because of her I feel freed. Freed from the bonds that were holding me back and restricting what I did. Freed from every single person making the rules for me throughout life and freed from that imaginary friend that many people are still chained to.

So while I still have people bugging me to come back to my old church and to, in their words, get back in to the grace of God I shall not. If I was to do that I would once again just become a drone to some force that not a single person can prove exists. So for today and for ever I will stay unbound by the chains of religion and live my life the way I want to and not the way someone is telling me to do because that is what I believe.