It’s my life!

Ayelet - Great Neck, New York

Children in some parts of the world are always looking up to their parents for life decisions. Children are the next generation for the world, and we must fix our parent’s mistakes, not follow them! Some parents decide who their children marry, or what they will be when they grow up. Some parents in the world set their own child’s lives for them, even for something that might be too big.

I was sitting down eating dinner when my uncle from Israel said to me “What you want be when grow up?” I replied “A lawyer, or a judge” he told me “NO!!! Everybody lawyer! Doctor—Doctor good.” I just smiled and stared at him politely because I didn’t want to be rude and rebellious, but inside I was furious! Who is he to tell me what I should be when I grow up? I can choose to be whatever I want to be! After I calmed down inside, I realized that he just thinks differently. I’m not saying that parents or aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, and other close people should not be involved in decisions in the child’s life. I believe that elders should advise and suggest. I don’t believe that they should choose the definite life choice.

If a child’s parents want them to be a doctor, and they want to be a lawyer, nothing should be in their way of reaching for what they want, especially not their own parents. If parents are handing you your life, you never get to experience the happiness of independence. We children are the next generation, and if we don’t make our own individual decisions, who will? Our parents won’t be able to when they aren’t the top generation anymore!

Sure, parents may want what’s best, but how will they know? Are they you? Do they know exactly the passion that’s inside that is just waiting to come out? They’ll never know exactly what you want, so how can they possibly make the best choice for you by not letting you make it yourself? When a kid is young, of course their parents make big choices for them, but the minute that child becomes an adult, it’s time for their own choices, because it’s their own lives.

Arranged marriages—those annoy me the most. Let’s say the parent chooses the wrong person, there will be tons of fights with the couple, which will make their children unhappy, which will make their children unhappy, and it will go on for generation after generation. Our parents won’t be the top generation forever, so each individual should make their own life choices, to better their lives, and the rest of the world’s life. An unhappy, controlled person won’t be able to contribute to the world as much as a confident, dignified person would. A person’s life is shaped by their own choices, individually and independently.

“Independence is loyalty to one’s best self and principles, and this is often disloyalty to the general idols and fetishes”

-Mark Twain

This I believe.