Destiny - Citrus Springs, Florida
Themes: death

Have you ever found out that your best friend just passed away? If you have then your way might have been your parents sitting you down saying, “Look honey, Grandma is no longer with us.” (the easy way). I got the experience of the hard way.

Back when I was 13. It never entered my mind that she was going to pass away. Boy, was I wrong. It was February 3rd, 2009, when I awakened to my mom on the phone. “Has she woken up yet? Is she still in the coma? For how long?” I could hear so many questions with no answers. The bitter questions pierced my body. The room was icy cold with a scent unknown.

At school that day I could see all the other kids laughing and carrying on. Was I the only one horrified and broken? The teachers made jokes all day long. The bright cheery faces haunted me. Faces of God’s creations stared at me. The day seemed to drag on and on.

In the ICU there was the wall of sobbing faces. I also saw KFC buckets, Pizza Hut boxes, and all the other items the campers before me had left. It was about 4:20am when I finally got the courage to go see her. Lying helpless and broken. The sound of the millions of beeping machines broke me even more. I laid my head on her shoulder and whispered, “Don’t worry grandma, everything is going to be ok, the doctors will fix you. I promise. I love you always and forever.” I gently kissed her on the check as I hid my face with my hands and left the room.

At the funeral home later, she was dressed in her favorite red blouse with her new jeans. I knelt next to her, and laid the silver necklace that I had bought for her on her stomach. The preacher started speaking. My aunt gave a speech that broke everyone’s heart. The sound of “I swear” came on. After the song we wiped our eyes and said our last goodbyes.

I believe now that hope doesn’t always work. Hope is something that you want to happen. It’s not something that is going to happen just because you want it to.

I also believe in success and that is what my grandmother had! She was a mother, sister, aunt, grandmother, and cousin. She owned her own business, raised four kids, traveled around the world, treated her grandkids, and was known far and wide as the party house for Memorial Day cookouts because of her fantastic grilled chicken and strawberry daiquiris (virgin, of course). She wanted to make something of her life and for the 51 years she was alive she did nothing but succeed.