Handwritting Hassle

Meghan - Cave Creek, Arizona

I believe that everyone’s handwriting tells a story about them. When I was learning how to write I never thought my handwriting was good enough. Being left handed, my hand always smudged the words I was writing; and left a gray streak of lead on the side of my palm.

In fifth grade Ms. Bockhorst, my teacher, told the class that we were only allowed to use cursive and that they would never accept work in middle school if it was in print. This made my heart skip a beat; now they really would not be able to read my writing. My cursive looked like a baby doodled all over my assignments. Yet, when middle school came around print was, of course, acceptable. But in my classes I became even more self conscious about the chicken scratch all over my papers. I could see my middle school teachers now, “I’m sorry. You can’t pass the sixth grade because none of your teachers could read your assignments.”

I always told myself, “I want popular girl’s handwriting.” You know, that large bubbly print that every girly-girl in school has? My print, in my eyes, was “messy boy handwriting”. I would think to myself, “Maybe I will grow up to be a successful doctor; I hear they always have terrible handwriting.”

When high school rolled around, my handwriting improved…barely. If I write slowly, it’s readable, but still not close to the “popular girls”. Usually, it’s a combination of cursive and print jumbled together. No teacher has ever told me I could not pass their class because of my handwriting, but I still feel insecure about my scribbles if I don’t take my time to make it neat. However, I have come to terms with my handwriting. I now know that handwriting can say a lot about a person. Although it’s the hand that writes a story; the handwriting can tell an even larger story about the author. Handwriting that is upright indicates independence. Large print means that the person is an extravert and very outgoing and sociable (or putting on an act of confidence). Even the amount of pressure that a person puts on their paper shows how uptight or sensitive they are. The loops in their handwriting represent how high their goals are. Everything from the margins they write with to the line spacing tells secrets about them. There are countless ways to figure out a person; just by looking at their notebook. I have realized that I did not choose to have this handwriting; it chose me. My life goals, insecurities, and personality can all be deciphered by looking at my handwriting.

Not only did I learn about other people and their handwriting; I learned about myself. My handwriting shows that I am independent and need a lot of space. I love taking initiatives, but I don’t like to rush into anything. My handwriting may not be the cleanest or most legible, but it is what makes me who I am. This I believe.