Punished by Love

David - 34464, Florida

Have your parents ever shone that they loved you by punishing you? My mom has loved me unconditionally at times throughout my life.

Some were for horrible things that I’ve done, and some were for no reason at all. Almost everyone’s parents have shone their affection towards their child at one point or another.

The story begins like this. My mom and I went to Wal-Mart to do some shopping. We only had enough money to buy clothes for a baby shower; of course I didn’t know this so I asked my ridiculous question. “Mom can you buy me some pokemon cards.” She replied “No honey we don’t have enough dough for anything else besides baby clothes.”

Enraged I stormed off to the toy isle, not bothering to ask my mom if I could go.

While rustling through the toys, something dawned on me. “What if I stole the cards? I possibly couldn’t get caught.” I thought to myself. I decided to give it a shot. I opened the pack of cards and took them out. People were passing by not taking a second look at what I was doing. I finally got the cards out of the little box they were in and nervously placed them into my pocket. I was walking around as stiff as a prosthetic leg trying not to get caught.

I made it out of Wal-Mart and anxiously walked to the car. The whole trip home was as silent as a dog whistle. My parents noticed that I was quiet, but didn’t ask why. When we arrived home my parents inquired, “What’s wrong David? You’ve barely said a word this entire ride.” I answered, “Nothing, I’m fine.”

When we walked inside I thought to myself “wow! Everything’s going better than I planned.” Until, I pulled them out of my pocket just a tiny bit. As I took them out my mom came around the corner and bombarded me with questions! I almost cried I was so scared. She sent me to my room and told me to stay there. After about a half hour mom told that the police were here waiting. She said they wouldn’t charge me if I gave them all of my money. I ended up getting grounded for a little over three months. But my groundation eventually came to an end.

A while after my mom told me that the cops were never at our house, and that it was just a punishment. She handed me my money, and I didn’t think about what had happened for a very long time.

Until recently I started to realize what she did for me, and to me. My mom took my money from me and grounded me as punishment, but she did more than that, she showed me that she would never do any harm to me as long as I live. My mom could have called the cops, but she didn’t because they love me. This I Believe.