Courage in the face of life

Jacob - Tustin, California
Themes: courage

Courage is the state of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger or pain. I believe in courage. Martin Luther King Jr. was a courageous man. Despite opposition he found something that he believed in and defended it with everything he had. He spoke in front of two-hundred and fifty thousand civil rights activists and delivered a speech that defined the civil rights movement. A single mother is also a courageous woman. She has courage to go to work every day to feed her children, the courage to keep going everyday to make sure her children have a better life then she has. Courage is a beautiful thing.

I believe in courage for many reasons and one of them being, without courage in the face of difficulty we would not be where we are today. Scientist’s and free thinkers in the early centuries strived for knowledge and improving humanity despite opposition. Socrates was a Greek philosopher who is credited as one of the founders of Western philosophy, he taught the value of knowledge over material wealth. He was later sentenced to death for teaching his values. It seems almost every day I am faced with difficulty, whether it be school or life in general. Obviously the amount of difficulty varies person to person but what doesn’t change is the courage required to meet this difficulty head on. Everyday I tackle my difficulties and courage is what gets me through them, the courage to believe that after these difficulties I will become a better person. This type of courage usually unnoticed but still, people continue on.

Another courage I believe in is courage in the face of danger. Think of the marine who leaves home to fight and protect his country despite protestors who torment him for it. Think of the fire fighter who will without fear, dive into a burning building to save another persons life. Every day these events occur but usually go unnoticed by the media and public. Courage in the face of danger is what bonds us together. This type of courage is the hardest to muster but the reward is worth the sacrifice.

The next type of courage is everyday courage. When you think of this imagine the little league coach who without pay puts time and effort into his team. This is what gets you through life, the little moments of courage that make yours or someone else’s day better. This type of courage is an ongoing story for me. Some days I have it, and others I cower in fear. Courage is what gets us through the day. This is the most common type of courage and the most important. As Dorothy Thompson said “Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good.