Choice is What I Believe

Jacob - Michigan City, Indiana

I am a 19 year old college freshman and each day I’m confronted with decisions. Do I go to class? Should I call off of work? What will I eat for dinner tonight? Should I go to this party? Although these inquiries may not seem to hold much significance to the naked eye, they are life-defining to me. It’s the questions and decisions like these that set apart the youthful child from the college-hardened intellectual. Choice is the ultimate factor that distinguishes between these two stages in life, and it is what I believe.

Handcuffs and a police squad car at the age of 17 can truly reprioritize one’s life, as it did mine. I chose to get in my car and drive home after drinking at a party, what could go wrong? To tell you the truth a lot could. My harmless 15 minute car ride home turned out to be the pinnacle of a life changing, and probably life saving, event. I was pulled over, field sobriety tested (talk about embarrassing), and taken to the La Porte Police Station on an Alcohol Beverage Commission violation. Sitting in that police cruiser with my hands cuffed, resting ever so gently on my lap, I knew I had a choice to make: Do I grow up now or do I wait until I truly ruin my own life or even worse, someone else’s? I chose the former. Although every day I regret my decision to drive home that night, I made a choice and it was in that decision that a young and naïve child became an adult.

God gave me free will to go about life however I please and intellect to make smart decisions. Not being refined to a systematic outline authored by none other than Fate herself, is what makes life worth living. I’m positive that I will not always make the right choice, that is simply human nature. However, the act of choosing and having the ability to write my own story is what separates me from my favorite James Patterson protagonist.

I am a 19 year old college freshman and I will forever believe in the power of choice.