Rocio - El Mirage, Arizona

This I believe

Since I was 3 or 4 years old I learned and I started believing that smoking is bad. When I was born I had a mom, dad, brother, grandma, and a grandpa living in my house. But after that incident that happened I only had a mom, dad, brother, and a grandma. This incident occurred when I was 3 or 4. At that time I had only one brother and then I was born. My grandpa loved me a lot more than my brother. Every time I would go to the store I would get 2 bags of chips one for me and one for my grandpa. My grandfather was like a second father to me. His only downfall was his smoking habit and the fact he smoked a lot.

This was the beginning of the incident that was about to occur with my grandfather. At the time I wasn’t old enough to understand but apparently my grandpa smoked for quite some time. The incident started one night in the first house were I used to live in California. My grandpa stopped breathing my parents called the ambulance and the paramedics came and they took him. My whole family was shaken up but me I was just too young to understand I just said “Where are they taking grandpa”. From what I remember seeing and hearing my grandpa might have had a heart attack I wasn’t sure. When I saw my grandpa after the ambulance took him he didn’t look very healthy. I saw a hole in the middle of his throat and a tube in there. He was connected to a lot of machines. But I noticed that the tube in his throat was the thing helping him breath. After that I just remember my mom and grandma crying. From there I knew something happened sure enough my grandpa died. After that his burial took place my grandma was never the herself for some time.

Now that I’m older I understand more and because of this experience I believe that smoking is bad. When you smoke you believe you only injure and hurt yourself but the truth is you hurt everybody around you that cares about you and loves you. If you smoke think about the people around you that will be affected because it might lead to your downfall or death. I know that I won’t smoke because I know how it feels to lose someone and I know how much it can affect you. This I believe.