I Believe in Honorability

Ashley - Magnolia, Arkansas

I believe that where a wronged man stands, there is a scar upon the face of the earth. That means this world is very weather-worn. Throughout time man has both done wrong and has been wronged. I wish that this could change because I believe in standing up for what is right.

The first concern I have about what is right refers to humans’ inability to resist harming each other. Is one man not just as human as another? Despite color, languages, and beliefs, humans are humans. This fact cannot be changed by anger or fear. If a person is cut, will that person not bleed? If all humans bleed, and an enemy bleeds, is it not true that an enemy is human? Even a person who is hated throughout the world is human. Therefore, no one can justify the immoral eradication of cultures or the scorn which people receive because of their differences. What is truly right is never harming another person because of his or her differences. Humans should treat each other humanely.

In addition, I believe in the most insignificant and vastly overrated cliché of the modern world: the morals of the human soul. Humans are basically good on the inside. An example of an act of human kindness is shown through the commercials on television where the callous teenager walks the little old lady across the street. Respect for the elderly and for peers creates a better person for the society of the future. If children can be encouraged to follow in admirable behavior, surely there is hope for a world full of peace. Maybe there could be a time when everyone can share in my belief for standing up for what is right.

After all, standing up for what is right is not only a tool for the present but a guide for the future. Children are extremely impressionable. As they enter adulthood, this new generation brings the values they have learned to a chaotic world. What the values are determines the future. If the only morals children learn in life are those of violence, fear, and poverty, how can there be a hope for a tranquil future? The truth is that without the courage to stand for righteousness in today’s generation, there can be no hope for any morals among the next era. The future could become just as distraught and destroyed as George Orwell’s terrifying reality in 1984. In a world where everyone fears his or her neighbor, no one has the courage to help one another or even to find love. With this depressing outlook looming before the world, I choose to do what is right. I believe in standing up for what is right for the future.

Life is full of choices, and one choice is to stand up for what is right. This belief defines who I am. I dread the thought of a world controlled by fear and destruction. To keep this from becoming a reality, I believe in standing up for what is right.