Working Hard to Get My Fill

Tyler - Waldo, Arkansas

“Workin’ hard to get my fill”— the line comes from the rock band Journey’s song “Don’t Stop Believing.” It has a great meaning to many because they can relate to that one simple line. Millions of people around the world are working in order to get their fill of needs and wants. Teenagers take the […]

Themes: work

“Workin’ hard to get my fill”— the line comes from the rock band Journey’s song “Don’t Stop Believing.” It has a great meaning to many because they can relate to that one simple line. Millions of people around the world are working in order to get their fill of needs and wants. Teenagers take the major aspect of working as nothing more than a joke. That is why I believe every teenager should be required to work six months before graduating from high school. If teens were required to work six months, then they would have a more reasonable understanding of work. Having a job can teach one how to take responsibility, mature, and earn money, which all teens need.

One reason teenagers should have to work before they graduate from high school is so they can experience a greater responsibility than just doing household chores. A job can help teens come to the realization that life is not all fun and games, that if they truly want to achieve something they have to work for it. Whether it be babysitting, clerking, mowing, or flipping burgers, a job can teach teens that sometimes the only ones to blame are themselves. This is one reason I believe teens should have to work before they graduate.

Another reason teens should be obliged to get a job for six months is the responsibility of a job can help a teen mature. If teens mature, then they should eventually come to grasp the fact that they cannot always get what they want. Also, a teen who works is likely to have a more respectful outlook on the working class, which can lead to the teen not disrespecting other working citizens. This is another reason for teens to experience work before moving on in the world after high school.

Lastly, it should be mandatory for teens to acquire a job before graduating from high school, so they can have their own money to spend. If teens have jobs, then they will have money to help fulfill their wants. Also, with a job teens will have money, so they will not have to rely on others for money. This is yet another reason why teens should have to get jobs.

Working can have many positive and even life-changing effects on teens, some of which are learning to have more responsibility, maturing, and having money of their own. These are the three major reasons I believe and support teens being required to work six months before graduating from high school.