Life’s Simplest Pleasure

Miki - Magnolia, Arkansas

I believe in smiles. I love the way they exchange from mouth to mouth, because a smile truly is contagious. Smiles provide warmth. They provide the uncomfortable with comfort, the hopeless with hope, the unachieved an achievement. Happiness in my life is brought by simple pleasures, and to me, a smile has got to be the simplest pleasure known to humankind.

If ever I find myself in a weary place or in a nervous state of mind, as soon as my eyes receive sight of another person’s pearly whites my distraught emotions are calmed with a wave of confidence, as if that person’s smile says, “Relax, let me share my comfort with you.” Nothing is more relieving than having others show me that they are there, and that I don’t have to go it alone – oddly enough, a smile can tell me all of this and more.

Likewise, I like to tell all of this to other people. Smiles cure. I want to be another’s comfort; I want them to share in my smile, my joy, my happiness. I want the world to know that I believe in smiles – I give, receive, and share them. Even when I am having a terrible day and nothing has gone right, all I need is a smile. It can be as simple as someone sharing a smile with me or making me smile, and my gears will shift from dragging and sulking to feeling encouraged and hopeful. I always hope that my smile leaves an impression on others the same way that the smiles of others leave a lasting impression on me, and because of that I make it a point to try to smile and lift someone’s spirit every day. Everybody needs a few smiles in life.

My emotions hit an ecstasy when I see people – especially children – accomplish something that they’ve worked so hard for, and see glowing smiles spread across their faces. Nothing beats the feeling of accomplishment. I know from experience that they have never felt more tried, more accomplished, and more beautiful than they feel at that time. That smile touches me deeply, and I can’t help but feel happy for them, and happy for myself that I was blessed to experience such an awesome sight – a peek at those sparkling whites.

Smiles are my cure for everything. I put total faith in smiles, because they have never failed me. It is hard to think that something as simple as showing teeth can make me feel so strongly and so moved at their very sight, but for that reason I know that smiles will never betray me and that I will always appreciate life’s simplest pleasure.