Around the World in One Lifetime

Laura - Magnolia, Arkansas

From the pyramids in Egypt to the Stonehenge in England, the world is a fascinating place with many amazing locations to see. I believe in traveling the world and seeing places that evoke a tingling feeling that cannot be felt by looking at a picture or watching a movie. One must travel the world and smell the salty air of the ocean and feel the bitter cold of the mountains. I believe in traveling because it is a great way to learn about diverse lifestyles and different states or countries, and traveling is also a great escape from home and the workplace.

First, traveling is a wonderful way to learn about numerous lifestyles. I have been to many states and even to Mexico. New York City and Mexico are wonderful examples of two completely different places. For example, the lifestyles of the Mexicans and New Yorkers are completely different. The fast-paced lifestyle of New York City and the warm, relaxed lifestyle of Mexico are entirely opposite. When I traveled to both of these places, I got to see the way these people dressed and acted. Without travel, I would never have received so much insight on how these two very different groups of people live their lives.

Secondly, I believe that traveling is the best way to learn about different states and countries. Computers and textbooks provide knowledge and pictures of different places. While these things may be a less expensive way of learning about different areas, they do not even compare to actually seeing these places. To gaze upon Ground Zero and feel a small sense of what millions of people have felt is much better than being overwhelmed by sympathy from reading a news article or a textbook. The best way to learn about a new environment is to actually be there.

Finally, I believe traveling is a great way to escape home and work. Seeing the same place every day can be boring, while a job can be stressful and tiring. Traveling is one of the best ways to break away from a normal routine. Whether I was taking a trip to Florida, or perhaps a vacation to Tennessee, I always looked forward to the fact that I would be away from home and school for just a little while.

I believe that people of all origins should travel and see the world. I have had many wonderful experiences from traveling, and I strongly believe traveling is the best way to learn about different lifestyles and places. Traveling also relieves the stress of a job or school, and it is always exciting to see new places. From my personal experience, the thrills I have gotten when I walked the streets of Washington, D.C., or when I rode a cruise ship to a foreign country, are emotions that I will never forget.