Videogames are a Part of Life

priscilla - cocnord, California

Why is it OK to sit on a comfy couch readying a book, but it’s not OK to sit on the same couch in front of a TV playing videogames? I always wondered that when I was growing up because I read a lot, and while I did so in the same spot doing nothing, but reading. But the moment my little brother sat next to me to play Halo 3 or Call of Duty 4, he would be yelled at by my parents for not being productive. My parents are not mean, just pointing that out. I mean, I wasn’t reading Hemingway or one of Albert Einstein’s essays, it was just a book on aliens, or magicians, or a series based on rich girls, nothing important. I was just passing time like my little brother. Why cant people see videogames like reading? Videogames are a part of life, that’s what I believe.

My sister, brothers, and I were always raised with technology around us all, we are engulfed in technology, and that’s the modern age, if you think you weren’t because you played little league soccer, get over yourself, you’re just like the rest of us. The Tech Age I guess you can say, because all of our toys had to have some sort of battery inserted in them since they were electrical. The only candles I ever seen were on my birthday cake, not in emergencies when the lights went out at night, we had flashlights for that. But despite all of the technology around us and everyone else, for some reason we were always bothered when it came to video games. We were encouraged to go outside and play in the grass, but we weren’t into sports, our parents kind of let us be kids and do what we want. And if I wanted to read, I read, if I wanted to pay Barbie’s, I did, and if I wanted to play videogames with my little brother, I played.

Playing videogames is a hobby and to some it’s a MLG sport. Now don’t be judgmental, we’re not fat little kids with pimples. My older brother is a mechanic, my little brother is in football at his school, my older sister is in college studying psychology, and I spend a lot of my time reading, writing, drawing, but a lot of time playing videogames. It’s the modern era, we’re in the stone age are we? So why cant we let technology in every part of our life: cooking, exercising, researching for a paper, and playing. I’m going to study Digital Art next semester in my community college and let me want myself; the computer is a complex thing.

Videogames could be a hobby, a sport, a passion to some, and a career opportunity to others. Whether the game is on a computer or a counsel, it’s part or our generation. Videogames are a part of life, get over it.