Looking Where the Light Shines

Marie - Platte Center, Nebraska

Squinting into the glaring sun, I grudgingly climb onto my lawnmower. Next, I perform the age-old tradition of twisting the key, pulling the lever into gear, and driving out to complete my duties. It’s an average summer day: the burning temperature, sounds of my dad banging around in the shop, and my three short dachshunds sprawled across the earth. As I’m driving through the yard, leaving a trail of freshly cut grass, I notice small tufts of fur floating in the air. Immediately, I panic and kill the engine, not wanting to see the horrible murder I’ve just committed. Kneeling down, I cautiously brush at the pile of fur, only to discover one lonely, unharmed bunny shaking at the bottom of shallow dirt hole. During my life, I’ve grown to believe that one of the most beautiful things found on this earth is an inspiration.

No matter where you are in life, there are inspirations, big and small, just waiting to be revealed. If it’s a person or a thing doesn’t matter; an inspiration is anything that shows you the light and joy in life. When I discovered the small bunny cowering in the hole, relief flooded through my body and I forgot how painstaking my mowing chores had been. I looked at the little miracle sitting before me and gathered it into the palm of my hands, holding my tiny miracle for the world to see. Now, picture the closing of a sweltering July day, the sun creating colors you’ve never seen before. Remember the small tingling feeling as you witness one of nature’s miracles? That, my friend, is an inspiration. New sensations with the power to make you jump up and say, “I believe,” or “so there is a God,” are examples of inspiring power at work.

Different people in life also can have life-changing impacts. Lives are shaped and hearts are touched, whether it’s coaches, teachers, parents, friends, or no one in specific. Watching my sister accomplish feats I would expect to be impossible taught me to strive for the best. Listening to my volleyball coach as he explained our teams’ capabilities led me to believe we were destined for greatness. Hearing my pastor explain how we all had a purpose in life made me feel like I mattered. Spotting my parents in the crowd during my speech meet made me realize I was truly loved. These people led me to believe not only in myself, but also in the power of a kind soul.

Remember that you’re not alone, and whenever you’re down there will always be something to tip your head up and say, “Everything will be okay.” Life will bring sorrow and hard times, but that’s why God tosses out inspirations to those in need. Take a close look at the situation and realize there actually is a positive side. No matter how small (or furry) the inspiration might be, it’s there for you, so just reach out for it and believe.