Only Floss The Teeth You Want To Keep

Maritza - El Monte, California

Flossing

I believe in only flossing the teeth you want to keep.  The number one reason for tooth loss in America is periodontal disease; it is not from tooth decay.  Periodontal disease is caused by not flossing.  Plaque and tartar is a sticky film which hardens within 6 hours after eating and begins to eat away at the jaw bone. 

There is no cure for periodontal disease, like diabetes it can only be maintained.

I believe in flossing because our teeth are our lifeline.  Our teeth chew the food we need to help our bodies stay alive and they are necessary for speaking.  Our teeth create the smile we give our family and friends.  I believe in flossing because it prevents heart disease, premature birth, bone loss, tooth loss, not to mention bad breath. 

Periodontal disease is linked to heart disease.  Plaque and tartar forms on the root of the tooth, travels through the blood stream and sits in the heart’s valves causing a stroke, or a heart attack.  It only takes three minutes to floss after brushing your teeth, and floss is inexpensive.

I have been educating patients for over 10 years on my belief.  Many understand and do as I say, and many don’t ever come back.  One patient told me, “Flossing takes up too much of my time.” Another patient told me, “I don’t want to get gaps between my teeth from flossing.”  I informed the patient flossing does not create gaps. 

One day, one of my patients had a heart attack.  The cardiologist called to inform us the patient would be returning in two months to start dental treatment.  He said the heart attack was caused by heart disease which was a result of periodontal disease. 

Then a 28 year old woman came to our office.  She was losing two teeth.  I explained she had periodontal disease, and she began to cry.  She couldn’t fathom the fact that not flossing had caused her tooth loss.  I gave her a tissue and told her it wasn’t too late.  I told her the three most important warning signs: bad breath, bleeding gums and deep yellow stains around the tooth gum line.  We performed her dental treatment.  I gave her hygiene tools, and tips.   She left smiling.

Teeth can be saved.  All you have to do is make it a part of your daily routine. 

Keep floss in your shower, it’s therapeutic for your gums.  Leave one in your car, floss right before going into class or place of employment and ladies put one in your make up bag.  We are always touching up our make up so go ahead touch up your teeth too.  Gentleman same goes for you, keep one at your desk, put in your pocket, keep one in your toiletry bag, and gym bag.

Flossing it does the teeth good.  I want to save one tooth at a time, so only floss the teeth you want to keep.