Carpe Diem

Haley - Wichita, Kansas
Themes: carpe diem

Carpe Diem

About two years ago my mom moved out because she had enough with my dad’s anger issues and she didn’t think he treated us the way we should be treated. Only turns out he was angry because she always went to the bar instead of choosing to come home and spend time with her family. Eventually my mom made a mistake that my dad and I will probably always resent her for. But no matter what happened, I told my dad it would all turn out ok, that everything will most definitely get better. I was the optimistic one in this ‘family’.

One day my mom told me the quote ‘carpe diem’, meaning seize the day. Instantly I fell in love with the quote. It felt like my whole life, I had been living that very phrase. Have no regrets. Don’t care what others think. Do what you want to do, not what everyone else wants you to do.

It always seemed like in school they encouraged a slight independence, but if they didn’t like your way of expressing it, they looked down on you. I felt pressured to wear a certain style of clothes to be cool around my peers and I always felt as if I’ve had to be like the rest and just conform in order to be accepted. However, the older I got I realized that I shouldn’t be worrying about what everyone else thinks. Let them judge if they want; if they didn’t like me for who I truly was, they weren’t worth being friends with.

As soon as I learned this, I started opening up more and seizing every moment of the day as if it were my last. Now, if I have an opportunity to do something I don’t typically get to do, I usually jump at it. When you get older, you shouldn’t have regrets about your younger years. Ludacris once said “tomorrow isn’t promised today” in one of his songs. That is so completely true. Tomorrow isn’t always going to be there. Today and now is the only time you have. You shouldn’t let things in life get you so down that you don’t finish the day. Be happy and grateful you’re alive. Seize the day and have no regrets.