Lives of the REBELLIOUS ONES

Jesse - Las Cruces, New Mexico

I believe that in life you can achieve great things and still be rebellious.

Most of my friends have good lives and good friends at school, but they probably have the worst lives at home. They try to hide their embarrassment of their family or just brag that they have the best personal life knowing that they don’t. I have seen the good and the bad side of my family, but I still love them. In my family I’ve seen death, life, and violence, but most of all, happiness. I have a literature teacher who was rebellious when she was in high school, but she is successful with her teaching and publishing right now; however, she is still rebellious to this day. She also has been in tough times and good times, too. My literature teacher is very caring, generous, and spiritual in all the right ways.

My dad has told me stories about his life as a teenager and that he’d rather be with his friends than his own parents in one of his stories. His life was really hard because he had a stepdad who was tough yet fun most of the time. My dad left his house at age sixteen because he was rebellious about his family, like “Forget everybody! I’m a man! I can do whatever I want.” And he did, just for the time being. Instead, the only love he had was for his own mom and mine.

Today my mom works hard at AutoZone as a manager. Being in management she is treated different in her job because she is a lady. Customers suspect her not knowing anything in the automobile business. She sometimes corrects the guy co-workers. And when the customers are sometimes wrong, they give her attitude because she is a female. But she says it’s worth it when she sees me, my little sisters, and brother happy. She’s glad we’re not fighting and being grateful with what we have instead of ungrateful for what we don’t have.

She had a tough life, too, and that’s how my mom and dad met. They had their first baby on February 4, 1994; at the age of five months, my older sister Jessica died. It was a sad time, and my parents thought it was the end of the world until my mom was pregnant with me, then my other sisters, and last but not least, my little brother who is ten years younger than me. My birthday just passed, and even though I didn’t get what I wanted, I still have the warmth and caring of being close and together with my family who I love and care for so much.

The people I have talked about are rebellious in many different ways. But they are successful in their OWN ways. That’s why I believe that in life you can achieve great things and still be rebellious.