Karma

Alec - Ballwin, Missouri

“What goes around comes around”is a commonly used phrase, which to me basically means Karma. The word karma it self means deed or act and more broadly names the universal principal of cause and effect that governs all life. Karma isn’t fate it is people’s free choice of their actions that create their destiny. I believe that karma does exist and that what everything you do will eventually come back to you whether it is a good or bad natured action. Many religions believe that karma makes up your past and creates your present and future.

Karma is like this energy that goes through everyone that becomes effected by your actions even in the smallest ways. One instance that made me very aware of Karma’s presence was on a cool autumn Sunday. I was jamming out at a friends house. My mom had told me earlier that I had to go to church that day, So I called her around six and told her that I was just going to go to St. Gerard at six thirty with my friend. The thing is my friend and I never went to church. We just stayed at his house and jammed some more. When I got home around seven forty five my Mom asked how church and I just said it was fine. I proceed to go downstairs to watch T.V, then she approaches me about 10 minuets later. What she knew that I didn’t was that St. Gerard didn’t have mass at six thirty. Because I had lied to hear, I was grounded from my car for a week, and on top of that she is extremely suspicious of everything I do. But those are the negative consequences that I get for lying, and thats how Karma works.

For as long as I can remember I had always known of Karma, it wasn’t just like there was a moment when the clouds opened up and everything was clear. How I came a believer is something that happened over time, as more knowledge about this topic came to me, and when I began to look into it myself. I believe that people experience Karma every moment of everyday some times its more apparent then others, like when you do something stupid and you receive the consequences or even more indirectly like if you did something stupid and something bad happened to you, so you may think to your self that you deserved that. Thats what I believe to be Karma.

My belief in karma helps me not over look small favors like that, let alone big ones, and it has made me a better person because of it. With a new understanding of how life works I am more careful of my actions and more attentive of other’s. Karma has a weird way of keeping the world balanced. I want to work with Karma to make myself and the world better.