Brothers are Priceless

Adrien - St. Louis, Missouri

I am a very social person; all around I am friendly and throughout my life I have been good with people young or old. Companionship makes me get up in the morning and I don’t think I could live without the people I love. So a belief that I came up with that explains me well is that companionship is divine. Very few people have a happy and successful life without having anyone in their life that they love or even consider a friend. Maslow the famous psychoanalysis also said that being loved is a necessity, from your family, friends, hell even a dog. It doesn’t matter from where the warmth of being loved and wanted needs to come from, but it still needs to come from somewhere. There have been many times in my life where companionship truly has been divine and that’s why I can believe in it so much. This belief is true for me and my family, me and my brother, and for me and all my friends at school.

Obviously the companionship inside the family is incredibly strong and lasts for a lifetime thus always has the potential to make you happy. Then there are sometimes when the going gets really rough and family is the only way that you can be happy, this kind of thing happened to me. My brother and I were as close as regular siblings you could say, we didn’t really talk a lot, but we didn’t fight. It’s almost as if the title brother shouldn’t even have been there, we were the equivalent of two guys that know each other and are kind of friends. Thus we didn’t talk so I didn’t really know what was going on with him, and his drug problem, I had no idea. One day without me knowing anything he gets sent away to a boarding school in literally the middle of nowhere which is also sometimes called Idaho. Without even saying goodbye Elles, my brother and my Dad left in the middle of the night to go to the airport. The next morning I woke up and no one was there and it was an awkward feeling but I know I wasn’t sad, I was hollower and boring, like someone with no personality. It was devastating to have the person that was closest to me taken away over night without saying goodbye. In this situation best friends help but in the long run it’s a quick fix for happiness sooner or later you have to talk to your family. So I talked to my parents and it helps that they were going through the same thing as me for the most part and then I got to talk to my brother every Tuesday at seven PM, which was nice the conversations never really crossed over the conversation of drugs, we usually talked about stuff we were doing in school, and eventually it was like normal.

After my brother got came back from boarding school I had grown up and matured to the point where we could finally relate to each other. Which was really different in a good way. Now we were like regular brothers talked about guy stuff played Xbox and hung out with friends. Before you know it my brother and me are closer then the average siblings. We even hung out on the weekends and chilled with each other’s friends, frankly we had each other’s back. Parents are helpful for the big issues and brothers are there to help with problems that can’t necessarily be brought up with parents, and that’s exactly what my brother did. I can’t even count the times that my brother saved me from a bad situation. There is are an abundant amount of times and I can name one, one huge thing my brother and me helped each other out with was sneaking into our house if we were past our curfew, which was twelve thirty. He taught me tricks like not to go thought the front door because it is extra old thus extra squeaky. Some parents might not agree that this is companionship but it most definitely is and I don’t know what I would do without my brother or even my friends.

Friends of course help you through school, school would literally be hell without having an abundant amount of people there that I enjoyed being around. But school is certainly not the only thing friends help out with. Companionship with other guys can range from kind of friends to practically brothers, I am lucky enough to have a close group of guy friends that are all practically brothers. Hanging out with them is truly a cure to any bad mood. Friends that are girls can also help but in my experience with them they always, well 90% of the time get side tracked with there own problem and forget about you. There is not one individual time where I can say my friends helped me out they help me everyday from problems with family to little things with friends.

This belief may not be true to a lot of people but it is for sure true to me because my life is interacting with other people and having companions to talk to. Without them I honestly don’t know what I would do. Trust, love and cherish your friends because they wont always be there. Love the life you live, Live the life you love (Bob Marley).