The Best I can do.

David - Ballwin, Missouri

My belief is to always do your best and never give up. I feel that this quote accurately shows my belief “if better is possible then good is not good enough.” This quote represents to me that you always need to push yourself, and if you live by this quote you never feel like you are letting yourself down if you fail because you know that you have tried your best at all times. I feel that the experience below have really shaped why I believe this belief.

My first experience is getting cut from my soccer team at a young age taught me to always do my best, and every coach has also told me that along with my parents. This event frustrated me a lot, but I learned how to overcome the adversity. I then joined a lower caliber team; however, I ended up improving tremendously as a player. There are many reasons for why I improved as a player during that year, but the one person in particular that helped me improve was my coach. He motivated in different ways to always do my best; he would tell stories about how he would never give up, would always remind me of my goal of doing your best.

One instance was when my coach helped me reach my full potential in fitness. I wasn’t the fittest person on the team, and I did not enjoy doing it. My coach reminded me of my goal of always do your best and never give up, while I was running sprints. His persistence in making me more fit and trying to my best allowed me to get better in long run; consequently, I decided with all my improvements during the year I was going to tryout for a better team.

When tryouts finally arrived I felt prepared because I had followed my belief. I was trying out against a lot of other good players, however with myself believing in myself I wasn’t going to let anything stop me. I got the call saying I had made the team; thus giving me a real since of joy because my belief had gotten me there. I believe all the hard work I put in earlier got me the spot on the team, and instilled my belief even more.

The next experience shaped how to judge doing my best. My soccer team was going to compete in a national soccer tournament. In the first round we drew a hard bracket, but coaches were out with it and believe in us. During the practices that led up to the tournament, the coaches stressed that we need to try our best in practice. The coaches meet with me individually to help me with my defense and to go over how to prepare mentally on how win. The practices turned out to be grueling, but it prepared us well for the tournament. At this time my parents kept encouraging me to do my best.

In the first game we had to play one of the best teams from my area. My team got off to an early lead after we scored 5 minutes into the game. After the goal the other team put the pressure on us taking tons of shots on net, however we would not break. During the last minute of game they had their best chance, but I was able to save the ball from going in allowing us to win the game.

The next game was against an out of town team. The game was close for the majority of game until 15 minutes left, when one of my teammates got a red card. It cost us the game because it caused a 3 on 1 break way which I stopped by clearing it. The ball went the other team and the player received the ball, shot, and score causing my team to lose 1-0. I did not feel like it was my fault because I did everything in my power to stop a goal.

We managed to get through to the finals and we played this team that was bigger and faster than u, but the game was a good game even though we lost. My whole team played well but we were just outmatch and lost 3-0. I ended up learning that doing your best no matter what is the right thing to even if you lose. Once I started doing my best there was no turning back.