Views Change As the World Changes…

Gregory - Lakeland, Florida
Themes: change

I believe that people in the world today can easily change there point of views and there beliefs and voice can easily be broken just to fit in and follow the crowd. People’s thoughts and views on political issues, ideas, entire races of people etc. can easily be influenced by events and situations that rarely happen but can change people lives.

For example, when 9/11 happened everyone in my class in elementary treated me as an outcast. This threw me off completely because the day before I was just another person in the class. No one thought I was anymore different than they were, I was one of them. Then out of nowhere they start calling all the Indians in the school terrorist and yelling at them to go back to there country. People views on a whole race changed in just on day on that day. Instead of dealing with the main problem which was the extremist, they chose to pick on a whole race which had nothing to do with it and till this day, 8 years later, people still discriminate against just one type of race for something that they had no involvement in. Views change without thinking things through, people chose to not broaden their horizon in order to get a better understanding, instead they decide to find someone to lash their anger out on for temporary relief at another ones expense. I believe that everything happens for a reason and when this happened. It made me become a stronger individual in a sense that I learned that people aren’t really who you think they are. I learned that you learn about an individual through their actions rather than words. I learned a lot from this one single event. I learned self-control and how to control my anger because back then I had a short temper and If I didn’t learn fast I would easily of been kicked out of schools because I would get into fights. But I learned to let things go and to trust and cherish those very few who sticks by your side to the very end. If events didn’t go down on 9/11 I know I wouldn’t be the same person I am today. I would be a follower who didn’t have a voice or opinion. But now, I try to be an individualist. To be different, better than those around me, and to make them accept me for who I am.