What Education has Taught Me

Annie - Baton Rouge, Louisiana

I believe that life should not be taken for granted because amazing things happen every day. Everyone experiences a different life—people are created equal, but given different opportunities. It is important to grasp diversity, because every single person is unique. This, at times, makes living very challenging. For this reason, I believe that education is one of the most important parts of life. I think that if every child and every adult received the opportunities to be educated well, our country would be different—some of our problems such as poverty, poor health, and racism, might be alleviated.

Being educated is one of the things I value most in life, because it has given me the ability to take care of myself. I do not remember many of the facts that I learned in college, but I do remember that I have the ability to learn whatever I so wish to learn. In essence, I have learned how to learn. I realize the importance of educating myself because there are certain aspects of society—facets such as racism, sexism, ageism—that are ingrained in the way I think and that may influence how people treat me. Education gives me the tools to fight these influences.

I have also realized that humility is one of the greatest virtues. I often times do things that do not reflect what good values I have, actions that I do not believe contribute to a good character. I make mistakes, and am wrong about a lot of things. For this reason, I am truly grateful for people who love me.

I am very grateful for my parents. I believe that being a loving and nurturing parent is the greatest gift that one can give to their child, one which they gave to me.