True Friendship Reveals Itself Through Adversity

Tomasz - Fort Worth, Texas

I believe that a true test of friendship occurs when one of the people suffers through adversity and needs support. For the longest time I never really knew if my friends had my back and in a series of unfortunate events, I learned the true test of friendship with my best friend Nathan. Two days before New Year’s, college freshman year when we had returned to Bali, my friend Nathan was tackled through a window by a large and drunken Australian man after standing up for our friend Amelia who got slapped by this man. After a tussle my best friend was tackled through a two inch thick window, causing him severe bleeding and cuts all the way down his left arm which required surgery. While waiting for his parents to fly in from Jakarta, I stayed up with him all night and made sure that everything was ok. I ensured his parents that I would watch over their son as if he were my own. I stayed up with him all night and waited through his surgery until his parents arrived to keep him calm and to let him know I was there for support while everyone else had fallen asleep.

He reaffirmed my faith in his friendship when I in turn endured hardship. During spring break in Vancouver last year, I was tackled on the sidewalk and had to be taken to the hospital with two torn knee ligaments and a patellar fracture. The same way I had kept him company and kept him calm throughout his ordeal, Nathan watched out for me and was my respective parent while I was in the emergency room. He did his best to keep my mind off of the excruciating pain and diverted my attention from my leg when doctors cut through my pants and found my kneecap to be on the side of my leg. Until my family’s friends came to pick me up 3 days later, Nathan took care of me and helped me get through the days until an actual adult, or in this case an actual parent, was able to tend to me. His compassion and care, characteristics which he usually doesn’t display, showed me how much I mean to him as a friend, which has definitely been a pleasant surprise. I know that I can count on him as a true friend. I did not know that he had the capacity to be such a caring individual, as we usually are quite crude to each other, but his care-giving abilities that I so discovered have made me feel honored to be his friend.

While I have experienced many events in my life, I have always been weary about how much someone cares or to what lengths will someone detached from my family go to take care of me in my greatest time of need. My best friend Nathan has really stood as a testament to true friendship. I honestly believe that there will be few opportunities during which someone can truly display their unyielding friendship. Despite the harsh circumstances surrounding the bringing together and cementing our loyalty to each other, to a certain extent it’s been a positive learning experience because I now know that that no matter what I have someone there to watch out for me and look out for my best interests. Although I knew he was my best friend long before these two unfortunate incidents, the adversity we both endured brought us together as true friends.