To Judge and be Judged

Bailey - Sandpoint, Idaho

I base my self worth on my grades. I have always been told that without good grades I won’t get far in life. The difficulty with being judged on your grades is this: only you, your parents, and your teachers know what they are. How is the rest of the world supposed to judge you on something that they cannot easily see? Everyone you come in contact with may not be able to see your grades but they will be able to see your outward appearance. I learned this about the world at young age.

I look back on my awkward stage in middle school and realize where all this came from. I was a little messy, not so well dressed, and not the best looking twelve year old on the planet, but was still very smart; that doesn’t mean that people didn’t judge what they saw. This is how self worth, for me, gets mixed with vanity. Now, I’ve turned my A+ grades into designer jeans, my A grades into designer shoes, and my A- grades into designer tee shirts. It’s how I portray to people not what I value, but my ranking in the world. It’s my outward projection of what I work so hard for. There are plenty of people out there who could care less about their looks and have the IQ of Einstein. Even I know how ridiculous it is to think my grades can translate into what I wear. But that doesn’t mean that it will stop me from getting up early for class and trying to transform from a caterpillar into a butterfly in under two hours, and even with all that hard work I will still be less than perfection. I’m okay with that.

The world will never be judgment free; that is a small fact of life. We will always be forming constant opinions of others. I do not believe that we should stop judging people; it’s how we make assessments for our own good. What I do believe is that we should stop caring about what the rest of the world thinks, and start caring about what matters most to us. We cannot live solely on what everyone else believes, otherwise unhappiness is inevitable. Life is made to be enjoyed, if we continue to worry about what others think we will only be unsatisfied with their opinions.

Let go of how the rest of the world sees you. Focus on how you see yourself. Know and understand, to the best of your ability, what makes you happy. Consider what you want out of life. Do not worry about being judged or looked down upon, because no matter how hard you try that’s never going to change, but you can change the outlook you have on your own life.