Anne - South Orange, New Jersey

I never liked cartoons. I found them so… dull. The plot and action was over in a short half hour and it left you feeling like the world were safe, but in truth, the next bad guy would come around as soon as the loony toons re-runs were over. Characters in capes and to tight pants flew around saving the day from evil villains. I never understood how people found this so amusing, even as a little kid.

Now, years later, two of my close friends, Ysa and Jamie, rediscovered the cartoon and comic book, batman, and have been talking about nothing else. The show, the comic series, the movie, the graphic novel, so many things that I never could have imagined. I began to be sick of all the heroes and villains thrown around in that fantasy world, two face, the joker, Harley Quinn, they all meant nothing to me. Just drawings on a page, nothing more. I couldn’t’ understand their obsession over fictional characters! It shocked me, how two mature girls could fall under the thumb of a comic book.

I stayed out of their faze, hoping it would pass, just like the rest of the previous fazes the two went through together. I sat through long intimate discussions about whether the joker and Harley Quinn would get back together, and I sat there, agreeing with their every word.

I was talking to one of those friends one day, and she asked me about a friend of mine from dance class, her names Kendall.

Now Kendall, she means the world to me. I would trust her with anything of mine, and I rely on her to guide me through just about everything in my life. I didn’t trust anyone in my family so inplace of a sister, I had Kendall. Ysa was asking me about Kendall, and I was trying to describe her, but having a hard time because I didn’t know how to refer to her. Kendall is my role model, and I trust her to be there for me, and vice versa. I was thinking how to say this, and I started to think back to one of the many conversations that Ysa and Jamie had together about the various heroes in their comic books.

“Kendall is my super hero” I told her with conviction.

I believe in super heroes. I believe that anyone can be a super hero, and everyone is. A super hero isn’t just someone in a cape who flies around saving people from burning buildings; it’s the everyday people who make a difference in your life. Kendall would bend over backwards to keep me safe, and that’s what a super hero does. To me, a good friend is a super hero, with unusual super powers.