Family Matters

Jake - Oregon, Illinois

A family relationship is essential tome.  One of my friends called me to hang out one Saturday night.  But alas for him, my sister was home for the weekend.  I don’t get to see my sister much because she is at college.  Since I don’t get to see her often, I decided to say, “Sorry dude, I cannot hang out tonight.  My sister is home.”  He understood, but he was highly disappointed.  When my sister heard that somebody asked me to hang out, and I said no because she was home, she was not happy with me.  She said I was going to lose my social life if I kept on doing this!  But I responded quickly, “You’re home; I have not seen you for over two months, I am staying home to spend time with my older sister.”  She was touched that I would do this for her.

Throughout my life, my family and I have always done things together.  My family always eats together, and we always have a good time.  This is where we converse about how our days went, and how our lives are going.  This is also where we talk about our concerns and thoughts.  At holidays, our family always sits around the table and shoots the breeze.  Our family also makes sure that if my cousins or I has a sport event, they make sure they depart the house to support them, even if they don’t play much. 

I realized after my grandpa passed away, that family members don’t last forever.  I enjoy our family dinners and family sports events, because I realized that time with your family is precious.  Spending time with family is imperative.  Even though they can be embarrassing, and trust me I know, but they are still vital to your life.  Family is what makes you content.  Family is what makes you live.  And no matter what happens to you, or where you are, your family will always be there for you, no matter what.  I believe in having a strong relationship with your family, because family is like ice cream, they don’t last forever.  And there is always a new flavor, just like a new family member brought into existence.  Like ice cream, it’s gone before you really get to enjoy it.  This I believe.