I believe in doing things on time, and not at the last minute

Rafael - Superior, Arizona

The biggest challenge for me began when I was nine years old. My parents always taught me responsibility, and the consequences of not being responsible. Then at age nine it really got serious, when my parents really demanded responsibility out of me. Responsibility for my parents meant doing things on time. Since then, I have always been a more responsible person then most others in my age group, even so, I enjoyed life as anyone else would. I learned my lessons the difficult ways, as life only teaches them.

One time I had to clean the yard. So my father could mow the grass. My father told me he would return by five o’clock, so the yard had to be clean before he got back. I went to play and watch television instead after he left. My mother kept reminding me, but I just replied “I’ll get it later.” Suddenly I heard my father’s truck pull up, “oh no it was my father.” My father came and said I was not responsible. My father helped me start the task of cleaning the yard. We finished the yard by dark, I learned a valuable lesson to do things on time and relax later.

As a teen, I started doing things on time. Even though, I sometimes forgot to do things on time. Once I forgot to take out the trash, I had to run and take the trash and beat the trash man one house away from ours. As soon as I got home I would start doing my homework. I learned this lesson because once I did not do my assignment on time, and the teacher gave me a failing grade. As I got older and got my first car, I had many responsibilities having the privilege to drive. My father paid for everything, all I had to do was keep checking on the cars maintenance. My father told me to check the tire pressure since it looked low. I ignored my father’s advice, then going out of town I had a tire blow out. It cost me a lot of money and my father’s time. He gave me an hour sermon for the incident.

Someday I will not have my father around to make sure I do things on time. I know he has pushed me into believing that doing things on time is a form of being responsible. Both of my parents have pushed me all this time because they care for me.

As a young adult I have more responsibilities, I enrolled in college right after high school. College is the most challenging thing in my life. But thanks to my parents teaching me responsibility since an early age, college is more fun than difficult. I am very pleased for all of my accomplishments to this day. I am sure my parents are very proud as well. I made challenging choices, so now I have more enjoyable ones. Being responsible is not easy; it is an every second of life struggle that will pay off in the end. So that’s why I believe in doing things on time instead of the last minute.