Change

Kartina - El-Mirage, Arizona
Themes: change

I’m 15. As I sit in my living room I can hear dad complaining about his job, but I remember a time when he use to yell about it. Some of his yelling could be good but mostly it wasn’t. He would yell about work, something on the T.V., something he thought we did wrong, or just random stuff. His yelling used to scare me to.

You see my dad used to drink alot. He was always angry. He yelled at my mom, sister, and me. My little brother used to cry, my sister and I would hold him and tell him that everything would be ok. But it wasn’t, I could never show him that I was scared. We moved around a lot. We went from Arizona to New Mexico to Colorado and then back again. Even when we moved around dad drank. I think he did it because he was stressed, we all were. As we got older the yelling got worse and so did the drinking. Dad tried to change, but it didn’t last for more than a week. He thought he deserved a drink since he went a week without one. Our family had gone through a lot. Many things have happened in our lives. I loved my mom and I didn’t want to see her hurt any more, none of us did. One night dad knocked a bunch of things down and messed up the house. Mom was done. She didn’t want us to have to be around a drunk. She wanted dad to change. She gave him two chances before but he blew them. She got a restraining order put on the house. Dad wasn’t allowed to see us. I guess that was his motivation.

He stopped drinking and got help. He’s been sober for 18 months now. I couldn’t be prouder of him. He changed and we’re happy. Many people say you can’t change and there right. You can’t change on you’re own but you can change with some help. All you need is a little motivation and any one can change, this I believe.