The Value Of Friendship

Bonnie - Apache Junction, Arizona

I believe in the power of friendship. There was a time in my life when friendship was not big on my list of priorities. As a child I was never quick to associate with many people. A self-assumed introvert to the core, what friends I did have growing up were often those I had since I was in diapers. That, was the way friendship was for me growing up. It was not that I didn’t have the opportunity to make friends, I simply did not see the need for it. I had know idea how valuable friendship truly was. Though once I became older that all changed.

When my husband Robert and I, were married more than ten years ago, it seemed I was in for more than I expected. Robert, being only one of two boys, had three sisters as well. I, of course, was already very naïve in the way of siblings. So, imagine my surprise when his older sister Renee extended her hand out me in friendship. It seemed when I was a child, if I ever wanted a friend I always had to be the first to initiate the friendship. Which, is a good reason why I did not have any. Imagine my shock at that moment when in her hand was the sweetest gift in all of it’s simplicity; it was a refrigerator magnet. On the magnet was written, “God holds your hand, and He holds mine and it keeps us close together, so that no matter were our paths may lead, we will be friends forever.” Needless to say, Renee and I were friends from there on after.

I can honestly say that I am truly thankful for friendship. Renee and I have been in some of the most ridiculous situations together. There was one such occasion when we had too much to drink. I had Renee in tears and snorts of laughter when I began to quote Shakespeare’s Hamlet to an empty bottle. Another occasion would be our “pop the clutch” or you are not going any where car. We would each alternate, one person would pop the clutch, the other would push the car as fast as they could. Furthermore, Renee happens to be one of the only people I have ever known to love Sigmund Freud. She will literally go on for hours about his psychoanalytic theories, Ego, Id, and Super Ego; saying “Freud is hilarious!”

What I have learned through our friendship is that a true friend is always there. Even if that means we could not be together physically. We are like family. It has not always been just laughs with Renee and I. We’ve gotten angry at each other and had our disagreements. We have cried together. When Renee’s mother was dying of cancer, I tried to be there almost daily to help with her mother’s care. When my mother was ill or in the hospital Renee had always tried to be there. I try to be there when she needs advice and to vent. Renee does the same for me. My dear friend is like a sister to me. I have learned much from having such a close friendship with someone. Though I may not have had loads of friends growing up, what friendships I have had I will treasure always. That is truly valuable to me. This I believe.