juan - los angeles, California

You can make a difference in a person’s life just by doing simple things. You can help them with their homework giving advice to them that’s why me and some seniors we are the mentors to some freshmen and sophomores. I like giving advice to my friends or even people that I see that need it. I help people with big or small problems. If I can help them out, I’ll be more than happy to do so. This year during my senior year I became a mentor to try to help others.

I am a senior at South Gate High School. My teacher, Ms. Rex, told us form the beginning that the senior activity wasn’t going to be easy and it hasn’t. I had an idea that it wasn’t going to be easy. I know that I have made an impact in these kids’ lives because they tell me all the time that the advice that I gave them has really helped them a lot.

We are mentors for freshmen. Most of the time it is working and talking to them, but at times, they act iconoclastic. We decide to mentor freshmen because their dropout rate upon entering high school is around 47%. We are able to help these students with their schoolwork or much more. I hope what I’ve done for these students helps them un the future and also to realize that helping others will help them too.

During homeroom all the mentors had to go to their students and talk to the. It wasn’t just talking to them it was helping them and making things fun. Since most of the mentees had good grades they ha a chance to go to a field trip to UCLA’s campus. We made it fun for them and for ourselves. We also talked to our mentees about the assemblies. We always awarded the student of the month and the teacher of the month. In the assemblies, we also played a couple of games such as dodge ball and tug o war. We tried to make every assembly the most fun as possible.

We didn’t just have activities for the assemblies we also had activities for our mentees as well. We made a potluck for all of our mentees in which everyone had to bring something for everybody. Some people brought snacks and others brought drinks. The activities were entertaining, and we got to know what our mentees were about. I tool some donuts to the potluck so that the mentees can grab some for themselves.

This experience gave me the opportunity to know what it feels to be a leader. It has been really tough at times but we overcame that and made it through as a team. From this experience I’ve learned that to make an impact on someone’s life is difficult.