I BELIEVE

Kris - Red Bud, Illinois

Instinct, it is what drives a person and it is what compels a person. That gut feeling that tells you “I am right”. It cannot be just set to the side and be ignored. I have counted on my instincts to get me through life and to allow me to achieve my goals. Rarely do I second guess myself, or go “Is that right?” When I do, I fail at whatever it is I am doing. I usually cut myself sort on tests, by putting down an answer that I know is right and then change it because I have a slight sense of doubt in the back of my mind. I always tell myself to stick with what I have done and that I know it is right, but I will change what I have despite my best thinking. That second guessing is also like a gut feeling that cannot be ignored. My mom has always told me that after I second guess myself that I should constantly go with my gut. Never doubting what I can do and going past my limits improves who I am and what I can accomplish.

You can not let other people change the way you are thinking. When I first started hunting deer, I always had someone telling me where to hunt. On the last day of deer season, no one was in the woods to give me advice on where to go. My instincts told me to go to a stand where nobody saw the deer. So I made my decision to hunt what others thought to be a worthless spot. That stand where others believed to be trash, turned out to be the spot where I shot my first deer. If I would to have doubted myself and gone with what others had told me, then I probably not have gotten my first deer.

I have constantly held on to what my gut has told me. I try to the best of my ability to go with that little person in the back of my head to lead me on the right path. So I believe that going with your instincts will lead anyone in the right direction.