Whose the sucker now?

Andrew - 22003, Virginia
Themes: family, pleasure

“Want to play again sucker?” The last thing I heard before I cried in frustration. My cousin Thomas beat me again at NFL 2k5 on the Playstation2. The year older bully always beat me at the game in a pounding; but I never gave up. I’ve lost by twenty, thirty, even fifty points, but I still played with my faithful Washington Redskins. Despite my terrible losses, I always got up and challenged him again with more confidence. This time, the game was going to be changed forever.

We scrolled down to ‘rematch’ and he just smiled. I kicked the ball off and the game started. The Patriots and they were fast. My defenders couldn’t keep up and the Patriot receiver and gave up a touchdown. Less than thirty seconds in the game and already losing by a touchdown. After one quarter, injuries and fatigue slowed down my team.

Halftime came and it was 42-10. As we continued to the game, I received the ball and my player sprinted by defenders. I repeatedly tapped the ‘X’ button as if my thumb was having a seizure. I drove down the field with ease and scored a quick touchdown. The score was still 42-17. With Thomas having the ball, he continued running, but my linebackers kept stuffing him. His sloppy plays gave me confidence and momentum that would turn the tables

By the fourth quarter, the score was cut to 52-35 with only had five minutes left. I drove and scored a touchdown. I kicked off, my cousin fumbled. I recovered at the 38 yard. One run, 38 yards, and eight second later, I scored a touchdown. Down by three. On a crucial 4th and three yards with 1 minute 18 seconds left on the 42-yard line, Thomas went for it. He threw a bomb down the middle, but the ball was tipped and missed. I had the ball now and the game in my hands.

I drove the ball down to the 13-yard line with only four seconds left. I could either tie with a field goal or go for the win with a touchdown. I hiked and I backpedalled. I scrambled over to the left and pump faked and the safety stopped. I pressed triangle and passed. Mark Brunell, my quarterback threw a floater. It looked like a replay in slow motion on Sportscenter. I caught it in the corner of the end zone and cradled the ball like a newborn baby.

That was it. I lost my breath and then jumped screaming knowing I had just had an incredible comeback. I came back at halftime down by 32 points to win in the most fashionable way. An equivalent to a buzzer beater, the game-winning touchdown was a dagger in the heart. Even though I had a losing streak of twenty games, I pulled off the upset of the year. This was the day I asked him, “Do you want to play again? Sucker?” The underdog: winners, this I believe.