Life with Love

Carolyn - Forest View, Illinois
Themes: death

My mom has always told me to never take life for granted, but the truth of that statement never really hit me until January 27th, 2007. I had gotten a text message in the morning from one of my friends saying that a 16 year old from Lyons, a town right next to mine, was in a really bad car accident. They hadn’t released the names on the news yet though so I didn’t really think much of it. Me and my family were looking for a new house in Lemont that day and I brought my friend Christina along. We both seemed to forget about what she told me in the morning until a few hours later I got a text message from my boyfriend at the time asking me if I heard what happened to Adam. I replied and said that I had not and right away he responded back with “he died last night in a car accident.” Right at that moment I had so many feelings rush to my head I could barely breathe.

Adam was a boy I went to school with since 6th grade. It wasn’t like we were best buddies or anything, but we did talk from time to time and he was always one of the sweetest kids in my classes. I had never experienced someone that young who I knew being killed so suddenly like that and it made me realize a lot, especially the fact that you should never ever take life for granted. Adam was in a car with four people and the girl driving was going over 100 mph down Burlington street in Riverside. It was icy out so the car flew up in the air and hit a tree and the Dodge Neon split in half…and the two kids in the back seat were killed. It sounded like a horror story when I heard about it, and the suddenness of the accident just made me realize how fragile our lives really are.

At the memorial the next day many people that knew Adam gathered around the tree the car split on at around 9 PM. Adam’s best friend who had been in the front seat of the car hugged me, crying telling me “He was just in our math class on Friday. He was just there.” It broke my heart. Comforting someone who just lost one of his best friends made me realize that I should appreciate my loved ones more. Sometimes we forget how precious our lives are and that a life can be taken away at any split second.

From that day on I have never gone a day without thinking to myself that life is absolutely precious. I believe that you should always remind the people you love that you love them and let them know what they mean to you. Adam’s accident made me realize just how fragile life really is. If I’m having a horrible day and feel super depressed, I always think about Adam and how I am blessed to be here. Just as easy as life is given to us, it can be taken away so I try to live every day just being happy. I thank God every day for the life he has given me and I always make sure that I tell the people that I love that I love them. Life is a gift, and when we are having a bad day we should always keep the mind set that we are still here breathing on this great place we call Earth. What happened to Adam really made me have new feelings about what is important to me in life, and that is the people that I love.