Silence Is Golden

Kevin - Seal Beach, California

Silence is golden, or so I’ve heard. But many people don’t find it so, especially when it comes to movie theaters. Personally, I love to go to the movies. You buy a ticket, sit down, and escape from reality. But unfortunately, it’s the same reality that I’m trying to escape from that ends up sitting next to me. I always thought that being quiet in a theater was basic knowledge, like not smoking at the gas pump. It’s a sad state of affairs these days. It’s a, “Me, myself, and I” society, and caring about what others think is becoming a lost art. It’s this attitude that’s spilling into the theaters. I believe in this: If you talk or make noise in a movie theater, you should pay for my ticket. You should buy me a year pass while you’re at it as well! If that sounds a little harsh then I apologize, but something has to be done. All you have to do is sit still and be quiet for up to 120 minutes at most. Why is that so hard?

There are many questions I would like to ask those who make my movie going experience a nightmare. Here are but a few: Why do you bring your young children to violent rated R movies at 10:30 p.m. on a weeknight? Why do you smuggle in loud cellophane wrapped food and proceed to un-wrap it right behind my head? Why do you chew your popcorn with your mouth wide open, filling my ears with delightful crunching and lip smacking? Why do you sit right behind, in front, or next to me when the theater is completely empty? Why do you leave your handless ear phone thing in your ear and let it flash that stupid blue light? Thanks that gives me migraines by the way. Why do you talk to the movie out-loud? They can’t hear you know.

And worst of all…Why do you constantly check your cell phone for missed calls, missed texts, or to send texts? Just in case you don’t know, these devices light up, and in a room that supposed to be dark… well, you get the picture. Or maybe you don’t, that’s why you do it.

In closing I would like offer an olive branch to my loud and inconsiderate fellow movie patrons. My dear sir or madam; We all love to go out sometimes, and living in a free society grants you that right, but dragging your living room habits into the theater just won’t do. For you see, I am there as well. And what you consider peace and quiet might not be the general consensus. I paid big money to be here and I didn’t come to be distracted by you. So please, for God sake’s, show a little compassion and think the next time you go to the movies.