I Believe in Friendship

Kayla - Red Bud, Illinois

I believe the most important things in life are our friends. Without friends, people really don’t have anything. I could be the richest person in the world, but I don’t think I would be truly happy unless they have friends to share my successes with. Even though some friendships don’t last, each one leaves a person with memories that he/she can cherish forever.

I consider myself pretty lucky. I have everything I could ask for, but I’d be nothing without my friends. Some of them I’ve known for most of my life, others I’ve known only a few years. No matter how long I’ve known them, it seems like we’ve been friends forever and I know we will be. My friends and I can have fun together no matter where we are. If I’m sitting around my house bored, I know that all I have to do is call one of them and they’ll entertain me. My friends are honestly the funniest people I have ever met. There is never a dull moment when I’m around them. We have millions of inside jokes and weird things that we like to do together. For example, at Christmas time we dress up in Santa Clause hats and take pictures to put on Christmas cards. When it is warm out our favorite activity is driving around with the windows down and the radio up, singing, drinking Mondos, and smoking candy cigs. No matter what time of year it is, we play Apples to Apples and the one with the craziest combination wins. I have the weirdest friends around, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Not only can I count on my friends for entertainment, but I can go to them for anything. When I have a problem, they always have a solution. If I just need to talk, they’re there. If I need a shoulder to cry on, they offer theirs. My friends have gotten me through some of the hardest times in my life. I share my every secret with them, and I know that it’s safe. Even though my friends love to gossip I know, they never tell my secrets when I tell them not too. My friends are fearless and tell it like it is. If they don’t like something, you’ll know it. That’s one of the things I admire most about them.

I believe a friend is someone that you can trust, rely on, and have fun with no matter. As long as I have a few good friends in life, then I have everything. As my senior year of high school comes to a close, I can look back on the last four years fondly because I had such great friends by my side. No matter where my life takes me, I know that my real friends will always be there for me no matter what.