Wasted Years

Don - Red Bud, Illinois
Themes: carpe diem

Wasted Years

“Time you enjoyed wasting wasn’t really wasted at all”

-John Lennon

I’ve always been jealous of the graduating classes ever since my older brothers’ class threw their hats in the air to celebrate twelve years of hard work. But this years commencement exercises will be different. This year my hat will fly, but if I said I had put in twelve years of hard work it would be a bold faced lie.

Since about fourth grade, homework started taking a back seat to everything else in my life. I would goof off in class and get in trouble, and when I got home I would go straight outside to play with my friends. I would do little or no homework and still hold a B average because when test time rolled around I could almost always bank on an A. Not much changed when I got to high school other than the fact that math is a lot harder and the teachers all preached that if you wanted to pass their class you had to do the homework. I didn’t change, but I didn’t fail. But that B average sunk to a C after poor attempts at advanced math classes.

Looking back I think one of the most common things I’ve heard in the last twelve years was, “Stop wasting time, Donny”. Whether it was in the classroom or at home someone was always advising me on how to use my time. But after hearing this repeated so many times I started to realize that I wasn’t wasting time at all. I was just using it my way and not theirs.

I can honestly say that there is not many things in my life I regret doing. They make me who I am. And I know that if I hadn’t spent all those years “wasting time” my life wouldn’t be the same. I’m not a tight wound person, I am Donny Hamilton and those who know me know how I am, fun loving, fun to be around, happy-go-lucky 95% of the time. And they know what I believe. I believe that there is no such thing as wasted time. Take a hold of every moment that you get because you don’t get many. Live life to the fullest because you never know when your time will run out and its hard to waste time when you spend your time trying not to waste it.