The Power To Dream

Cameron - Red Bud, Illinois

Everyone has the power to dream but it takes true character to act on this dream. My dream was to start varsity football and my sophomore year in high school I decided to make this dream come true.

I showed up in the weight room and all the football players were in there. I told them I was interested in playing and I started working out that day. We worked out three days a week and when I thought I couldn’t do it anymore I thought of my dream and that gave me the strength to push myself.

The real practice started and I did not know what to expect. I show up one blistering hot afternoon in May. I had never played and organized sport before so I didn’t really have a clue what I was doing. But I already knew how to run and that’s all we did the first few practices. It took all my faith in my dream to keep me going. I did not play a single down that year for the JV team or the varsity team.

I had started to give up on my dream. I decided I was not going to play football my junior year but some friends helped remind me of my dream and I was back in football. Varsity practices were quite a bit tougher but I started to get the hang of things. There were only three junior starters for the varsity squad and I was not one of them. We ended up going to the playoffs that year and I played a little here and there. Now I really started to realize that my dream could come true.

Senior year started the same as junior only this time I had a clue on what I was doing. Practice was the same run, run, run. Close to our first game coach started lining up the starters. I was one of them on defense. It was one of the best feelings in my life, now if only I could hold that starting spot.

A little bit before the first game our coach went over our positions with us. Right after the National Anthem the announcer started calling off the starting defense. Then he called my name. The crowd started cheering and I ran onto the field were the starters were waiting for me. At that moment I had realized that my dream had come true. My dream would become better as the year went on. I ended up starting offense and even scored touchdowns. I believe that everyone had the power to dream and with a little hard work they can make those dreams come true.