I believe in patience

Elizabeth - Chesterfield, Virginia

I believe in patience. And nowadays, we need patience more and more.

I am talking about the state of the nation. With everything going on, the economy, the wars on terror, and equality movements, I, as a student, need to learn in the value of patience. I may not know everything that goes on, I’m not here to say what is the correct path for anyone. Nevertheless, I understand that patience is key to every decision we may have to make. I may not hold the freedoms of people in my hands, but I do understand that in getting tasks done, I need to keep at it until it is done, no matter how long or hard. Patience is important for everyone to learn as they go through their daily routine.

For starters, there is the economy and its impact on the world and our interactions with other nations. Our stance is getting to the point where we are in dire need of help. People all over the nation are losing their jobs, their homes, and more importantly their security. On the other hand, we are needed in other nations because we are a good, stable, strong nation that can provide them the same ideals and customs that we are blessed with. But right now we need to focus on ourselves, at least for the foreseeable future. For this reason it is important to be patient. If we cannot fix our internal instability problems, we certainly will not be able to help others which will more than likely make their issues and ours worse over time. If we take the time to heal ourselves internally first, we will be able to do more good than harm for more people in the end. The same goes with our involvement in the War on Terror. If we cannot take the time to do operations correctly we are going to end up doing a lot of harm to Middle Eastern people who need our help. The best way to help people is the right, and sometimes slow, way of doing things. There can be no short cuts in our efforts to help others.

On a lesser note, we need patience for our drive to give everyone equality. Congress and other law-making bodies are notoriously slow at passing laws and even slower to enforce them. This can be one of the most irritating and frustrating processes in the nation. This can and will get under your skin so it is important to remain cool and collected during every part. If you lose your cool, that will set you back even further in your quest to get legislation passed. The best politicians are those who can deal with the whole process and still find the drive to accomplish their mission for their legislation. They are the ones who possess the most patience. They can see that battles lost do not necessarily mean that the war is a lost cause. They can take some hits while they win others. This is important especially in issues of equality. Women have been working on getting equal rights, pay, and prestige since this nation was formed. And the leaders of the feminist movement did not give up when their men laughed at their ideas. I cannot see Susan B. Anthony giving up when she realized the enormous obstacles she was facing when trying to get voting rights and equality for women in the early 20th century. She realized that persistence was the best plan and in the end, she was right; she achieved her goals, maybe not all of them, but she succeeded at something, most thought would never happen.

Patience is important in every aspect of life, but especially in those areas where freedom, equality, and justice are on the line. Everyone needs to understand that the right way has a way of being the slow and sometimes obnoxious route to these ideals. It can and will be frustrating to achieve what seems to be an easy idea to visualize. Therefore, it is important for everyone to play their part with a cool mind and collected plan that will achieve the means the right way, because in the end, the right way is the most rewarding.