My Protection

Nikki - Kansas City, Kansas

Have you ever had something tragic happen in your life? If you have it probably was very scary. Well, like most of us, I have experienced something tragic in my life also. It was this experience that helped me realize that I believe God steps in to protect us when we most need it.

A couple years ago on a January winter day my belief came to life. That afternoon my dad was going to snow blow the driveway because of a winter storm and my brother went to help him. I went outside with them because I wanted to help too. We got down to the end of our driveway where my dad started blowing snow and the machine jammed because of all the ice. Not thinking, my brother went to clean the snow blower by sticking his hand in it. It was full of slushy snow and ice, but it was also still running. He thought the blade was off but it wasn’t, and the blades caught hold of his glove, fingers and hand. Luckily my dad was able to literally pull him out of the machine, but not before the damage was done. The snow blower caught two of his fingers, broke one and sliced the other almost off, and mangled his hand. After I saw it happen I felt myself screaming my head off because I had no idea what to do. We rushed to the hospital as fast as possible. I think when this happened God was really there for us because he saved my brother from losing his fingers. He was not just there for my brother, but for all of us as a family. We had to get through it together and with his help and grace we were very blessed. My brother was in the hospital for a couple days, and my mom stayed with him. Travis had to go through a lot of pain because of a mistake he made. I know God wanted to help him through it and I know he was watching over him every night. He kept an angel with him to be at his side.

I know that my dad felt responsible for allowing the accident to occur. But a presence larger than life stepped in and gave the protection that was necessary. This I believe in my life everyday – that God is always there to protect us when we need it most.