Preston - Mulvane, Kansas
Themes: family, love

Grandparents have experienced so much in their lives, and I have found it extremely beneficial to listen intently to what they have to say. As they get older, their more recent memories fade away and leave stories from 50 or 60 years ago seeming just like yesterday. One of the more recent stories my 82 year old grandpa told me, was about something that happened 77 years ago. He was born in California, in 1926, and his grandpa owned a gold mine. In 1932 the Duke of Austria, was considering purchasing the mine so he came on a visit to check out what he was thinking about purchasing. He arrived at my Great Grandparent’s house in full military uniform and being chauffeured in a brand new Duisenberg. Soon after he stepped out of the car my grandpa’s dog went and began to urinate on one of the white wall tires. Immediately the Duke went over and picked up the dog and drop kicked it across the yard! My grandpa was distraught over his dog being punted and began to run after it but his mother grabbed him and told him to forget the dog. I am not sure if the story is true or not but either way I’ll never forget it. There are so many interesting things a grandparent has experienced that I probably, will never experience.

Grandparents are definitely good for more than just an entertaining story. When I have a problem they are often the first ones I turn to. When I was a junior in High School, the youth pastor from my church left the church under less than favorable circumstances. I was really close to he and his family and it was a fairly painful experience. The first person I talked to about it was my grandpa who is a deacon at my church. He gave me wise, Godly council and encouraged me to just trust God. What better advice can you get?

Both of my grandfathers also taught me how to treat a lady, and how to be patient and care for your wife even when she needs help frequently. They also taught me how to work hard and be proud of what you have. They didn’t have a whole lot, but they were always generous, probably more than they should have been, with the church and with me. I have listened to my grandparents and been much better off for it. Maybe if everyone listened to their elders we would not make so many mistakes over and over again.