Helping Hand

Eric - Wichita, Kansas

I believe in helping those in need. As I was driving home from work one day, I arrived at a stoplight and slowed to a stop. Ahead of me were three to four cars that had also stopped. I sat patiently waiting for the light to shift its colors, when it did so I was surprised to see that the traffic directly in front of me did not move. I sat somewhat frustrated as I watched a truck two cars in front of me change lanes and proceed through the light. This led me to the conclusion that something was blocking traffic and my best course of action was to follow suit. I flipped my blinker and began to merge into the other lane, only to see the light switch to yellow, then red. As I pulled up to the front of the line and stopped, I glanced to the car beside me and realized it was the car that was backing up traffic.

The woman driver sat nervously, showing obvious embarrassment, contemplating what she should do. I watched as she began to exit the car and now knew her car had stalled, to make matters worse the woman was pregnant and from the looks of the beach ball belly, was pretty far along. She headed to the rear of the car as if she was going to push the car herself. No one moved to help her. Someone behind me honked, alerting me that the light had changed green. I pressed down on the gas and passed through the intersection, switched on my blinker and pulled off to the side of the road. I couldn’t leave this lady in her condition with such a stressful problem and not offer some help.

I made my way back through the intersection and couldn’t believe that still, no one came to her aid. I asked her if she needed a hand and watched as a smile spread across her face slowing the tears which had been trickling down. She informed me her car had indeed stalled and if she could get it into the parking lot ahead someone was coming to help her. As I sat there listening I was appalled at how many cars raced through the intersection, noticing the situation, but not caring to stop or even slow down. I began to push the car and continued to watch as people pointed and laughed, or just kept going on about their business as if to say it’s not my problem. What if it was? What if it was your wife carrying your child? We all have times when we need a hand, nobody’s perfect. So next time you see someone in need take a second and ask yourself, would you want someone to help you?